I have been eyeing a recipe from Fresh from the Farmstand ever since this challenge began…
(Psst… Have you entered to win a copy of the cookbook?)
Anyhoo… I had made a Whole Grain Blueberry Coffee Cake a while back… but since starting this challenge, I thought that I could eek a little more calories/fat out of it and add a little more fiber in…
Below is my revised recipe and I am oh-so pleased!
Changes I made?
- I reduced the butter by 1 T and used Light Butter instead of regular.
- I used Whole Grain Cream of Wheat instead of regular.
- I used White Whole Wheat Flour instead of All Purpose.
- I used 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar- Splenda blend instead of 1 Cup Brown Sugar. (Note: If you don’t want to use Splenda, you might try using Honey.)
- I used Skim Milk.
- I also used 1 1/2 Cup Fresh Blueberries instead of 2 Cups Mixed Berries just because that is what I had on hand.
- Oh and I spread the 8-10 servings among 12 cavities in my Brownie Pan and the portions were PLENTY big. (Truth be told the Brownie Pan is one of my favorite portion control tools 😉 ).
Revised from Gooseberry Patch's Fresh From the Farmstand.
- 2 T Melted Light Butter
- 1 Cup Long Cooking Oats
- 1 Cup Whole Grain Hot Cereal (Cream of Wheat)- uncooked
- 1 Cup White Whole WheatFlour
- 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar/ Splenda Blend
- 1 Egg Slightly Beaten
- 1 Cup Skim Milk
- 1/4 Cup Oil
- 1 T Baking Powder
- 1/2 t Salt
- 1 1/2 Cups Blueberries
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Walnuts
- Combine all ingredients except berries and nuts.
- Fold in berries and nuts
- Pour into a lightly sprayed brownie pan (or 9 x13 pan).
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes (longer if 9 x13)
Calories 233 Total Fat 8.5g Sat. Fat 1.1g Cholest. 18.5mg Sodium 210.9mg Carb. 34.2g Fiber 4.1g Sugars 11.2g Protein 5.7g
Affiliate links were used in this post.